This person is fundamentally responsible for ensuring that newly designed and constructed plants are successfully commissioned, operate properly and produce product per specification. Additionally, this position is responsible for ensuring that learnings during the commissioning phase are appropriately fed back to the business for incorporation in future projects. In support of these efforts, this position works with management to develop and implement the processes and systems required to ensure the company has the needed capacity and capability to deploy a plant. The Agilyx Plant Deployment Engineer will leverage his or her exceptional leadership, commercial and technical skills to ensure that clients maintain confidence in Agilyx’s capabilities throughout the commissioning phases of a new plant. This position will coordinate activities of internal cross-functional teams, plus interact with external resources, including the client. This role requires a hands-on, knowledgeable, highly responsive team player who is a self-starter, resourceful, brings creativity and strong interpersonal skills to the organization. The Plant Deployment Engineer needs to have an affinity for working directly with complex industrial equipment and systems and is adept at optimizing system operations.
- Ensures that the design of a plant is substantially supportive of safe, reliable, and consistent operation per performance specifications.
- In collaboration with management, Agilyx functional areas and leveraging the expertise of 3rd party resources, this position designs, builds and maintains the Agilyx plant commissioning program’s processes and systems.
- Supports client projects to ensure that the design teams leverage the plant deployment engineer’s expertise and experience gained in prior plant commissioning projects to design and construct plants that can be commissioned and launched effectively and efficiently.
- Leads the commissioning and launch phases of new plants (as it pertains to Agilyx core technology) to ensure operations are according to Agilyx and client expectations and specifications.
- Using governing technical documents such as procedural commissioning documentation, plant PFD, P&ID, SOP’s and Work Instructions, systematically commissions a plant and optimizes operations to ensure that the plant operates and produces product per specifications.
- Uses and maintains industry standard change management protocols to ensure that changes in plant design and operation do not result in unintended consequences.
- In collaboration with management and members of support functions, creates written procedural documents governing 1) How the commissioning process itself flows and functions and 2) Validation and verification plans for specific client plants, as assigned.
- Identifies operational challenges and opportunities for the purpose of generating project proposals geared towards optimizing plant operation. Upon proposal approval, manages implementation through final validation and verification.
- Works in concert with management, plant operators, and technicians to define and nurture positive behaviors which are supportive of effective and efficient plant operations.
- Maintains active engagement in client projects from feasibility through commissioning to ensure that the final design and construction is supportive of effective and efficient commissioning work.
- Collaborates with training and documentation personnel to ensure that all plant documentation is thorough, clear and concise, plus supportive of developing client’s functional competency in operating the plant in a safe, predictable, consistent and reliable way.
- Impeccable safety track record as demonstrated by past commissioning work
- Minimum of 5-7 years leading plant or complex equipment commissioning efforts in the petroleum or chemical manufacturing industry
- An aptitude for optimizing the operation of industrial equipment and systems and applying critical thinking skills to develop solutions to customer problems / plant operational challenges
- Expert level fluency in understanding and leveraging engineering documentation such as PFD’s, P&ID’s, HMB’s, equipment layouts and schematics, etc.
- Ability to work with and guide troubleshooting activities for electrical power distribution, control and instrumentation schematics and equipment
- Understanding of general finance, budgeting and cost accounting methodologies with the ability to leverage this information to positively affect product strategy
- Ability to build consensus and relationships among managers, partners, and employees
- Excellent judgment regarding health, safety, environmental guidelines, rules and regulations as they pertain to equipment design and chemical plant operation
- Familiarity with regulatory affairs, including OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration), EPA (Environmental Protection Agency), and state agencies strongly preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical or chemical engineering from an accredited university preferred; other disciplines or equivalent experience will be considered
- Excellent business acumen, commitment to teamwork, and results orientation
- Superior interpersonal skills and written and verbal communication skills
- Self-confidence, initiative, and strong problem-solving skills
- Impeccable personal and professional ethics
Reports to: Director of Engineering, Agilyx
Type: Salaried; Full time with benefits
Work Hours: Generally, 8:00am – 5:00pm; there could be evening and weekend work
Staff: None. <growth potential>
Location: Tigard, OR
Work environment: professional office and industrial chemical plant
Travel: Up to 25%; As needed to support projects.